5th trimester

I was very excited when my hold on the book,  5th trimester, was available through the Libby app. I prefer physical books to electronic copies, but in Covid times + having a baby and not always having access to a book that app has been a lifesaver. Sidenote, sometimes I feel guilty about reading instead of staring at my daughter's face the entire time she's taking a bottle but not enough to stop so I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Anyway, I was excited for this book because it's supposed to be full of tips and tricks about getting ready to go back to work after having a baby. I suppose it is full of tricks, but only for women who work in offices and honestly it felt like Lifetime movie office jobs in publishing or fashion design or fashion publishing. There are a few anecdotes from women who work outside of cubicles, but not many and the teacher fell flat for me. None of the tips were groundbreaking. Get daycare figured out, putting on lipstick will make you feel human again, forget ever wearing heels ever again. It felt fake and gross when it was supposed to feel uplifting.
I love my job. Anyone who has met me within 5 minutes could tell you that. I figured out what I wanted to be at 16 and pursued that dream with all I had. The first year working at my job, I went to a Christmas party for Alex's job. This job for him was not a passion and at this party I soon learned it wasn't anyone's passion. As the wife, I made an effort to chat with the other girlfriends. One worked at Comcast and I cringe thinking of the questions I asked her to keep up the conversation. I think I asked if she had dreamed of working for Comcast or what she hoped to gain from the company. It was not one of my brightest moments but I had never met so many people without career ambition before. I would like to say that I'm not so naive to believe that everyone has a passion and that not everyone has the means to follow their dream, but I'm annoying in the fact that I still believe people should follow their passion. I so admire people who make huge life changing decisions about their careers or lifestyle. It takes courage and I get so excited for them on their new path. 
Anyway, I've gone off on a sleep deprived rant. In May with still months to go I'm looking forward to going back to school. But maybe check in with me again in August, I'm not so sure I'll be as ready...
ANYWAY the book wasn't great 2/5 stars on Goodreads for me.
Why is Goodreads the most annoying app in the world but I love it so much??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting Room

jeans

Plant Babies